Jon Stewart Is Upset January 6 Victims Will Be Made Whole

0
6

Jon Stewart blasted President Donald Trump on Wednesday over the administration’s newly announced “anti-weaponization” fund, calling it another example of what he described as a long-running effort to “troll” the American public while using taxpayer money to reward political allies.

The controversy centers on a $1.78 billion agreement announced earlier this week by the Department of Justice. The deal stems from a settlement involving Trump and the Internal Revenue Service after the president agreed to drop a $10 billion lawsuit. The money will reportedly go toward compensating individuals who claim they were targeted by politically motivated government investigations or actions.

The proposal has already sparked backlash from Democrats and even some Republicans, who are questioning both where the money will come from and who ultimately qualifies to receive it.

Stewart addressed the issue during Wednesday’s episode of his podcast after being asked whether he would rather vote for former President Richard Nixon or Trump.

The longtime Comedy Central host joked that he would pick Nixon “if only to get the EPA,” referencing the Environmental Protection Agency, which Nixon created during his presidency. Stewart added that modern Republicans would likely consider him a communist for saying so.

One of Stewart’s co-hosts then joked that the Watergate scandal now seems almost quaint compared to controversies surrounding Trump.

“Yeah, Watergate is cute now,” the co-host said.

Stewart agreed, saying that while Nixon faced allegations involving secret political funds and abuses of power, the scale was nowhere near what he believes is happening now.

“But think about that in comparison to $1.8 billion of taxpayer money,” Stewart said. “At least I think Nixon’s slush fund was donors. This is our money.”

He also questioned whether Congress or the courts were doing enough to stop the administration.

After another co-host pointed out that the exact amount — $1.776 billion — appears to reference the year 1776 and the founding of the United States, Stewart argued the symbolism was intentional and meant to provoke critics.

“It’s all Orwell. It’s all a ‘f— you’ troll,” Stewart said. “Everything they’re doing is a troll to us.”

According to Stewart, Trump’s political brand has always relied on provoking outrage while framing controversial actions as patriotic or anti-establishment.

“They’re going to give it to people that sprayed MACE at police officers and pretend that they’re rewarding patriotism,” he added, referencing concerns critics have raised about whether some Jan. 6 defendants or Trump supporters could benefit from the fund.

The Trump administration has denied claims that the initiative is a political slush fund. Officials say the program is intended to compensate Americans who were unfairly targeted by what Republicans describe as politically motivated government overreach during prior investigations into Trump and his allies.

Stewart, however, compared the administration’s behavior to viral videos showing groups of thieves rushing into retail stores and stealing merchandise while bystanders watch helplessly.

“You ever see those videos where a horde of teens flies into a CVS and just starts taking stuff?” Stewart asked. “That’s what we are.”

He continued by accusing the administration of exploiting public institutions and taxpayer resources for political gain.

“The Trump administration is a smash and grab on the American public, on the taxpayer,” Stewart said. “It is the most corrupt, utterly unleashed administration.”

He also dismissed claims that the people receiving compensation are legitimate victims, arguing the administration is manufacturing grievances to justify payouts.

“They are just grabbing whatever they can and pretending that it’s remuneration for some victimhood that they faced that’s all fictitious,” Stewart said. “It’s nonsense.”

Fox News