In the final week of President Trump’s first term, the Commander in Chief is on an island unto himself – at least as far as social media is concerned.
The Commander in Chief has been unceremoniously booted from Twitter, (permanently), and he has had his Facebook account restricted until Joe Biden is inaugurated, (at least). Furthermore, Twitter blocked access to the official government accounts for the White House and @POTUS after Trump allegedly attempted to communicate through them.
Just ahead of a vote to impeach Trump in the House, YouTube has taken action as well.
YouTube has taken action against President Donald Trump and barred new videos from being uploaded to his channel for at least seven days, citing violations of its policies and “concerns about the ongoing potential for violence.”
It’s the latest action against Trump after last week’s deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol by a pro-Trump mob. Twitter and Facebook have both also suspended or blocked the president’s accounts.
YouTube issued “a strike” to Trump’s channel, and said comments would also be disabled indefinitely. The company also said it removed new content posted Tuesday.
Social media companies have suggested the President Trump could incite further violence should he be allowed to speak freely to the American people, citing specific and credible threats from the FBI regarding future attacks on the US Capitol and statehouses around the nation in the days ahead.