SHOCKING Survey Shows How Americans Rank Congress on Ethics

0
283

If there is a saving grace to be found in these divisive and violent times in American history, it is that we haven’t abandoned what made our nation great all those decades ago.

That is to say that Americans are still unafraid of standing up to their government, to the powers that be.  To the “deep state”, or whatever other name you might give the shadowy elite of the nation.

Now, of course, the issue is who’s telling them where to focus their angst, and it’s hard to suggest that the mainstream media can be trusted with this responsibility.

As it turns out, Americans don’t really trust Congress either…or used car salesmen.

Americans do not have tremendous respect for the honesty and ethical standards of car salesmen or journalists, but they still give people in these professions a higher rating for these characteristics than they give to members of Congress.

This week, as first reported Tuesday by the New York Post, Gallup released the results of a survey it conducted on how Americans perceive the honesty and ethical standards of people in different professions. (Gallup first did this survey in 1976 and has done it annually since 1990.)

From Nov. 9 to Dec. 2, 2022, according to a release put out by the polling company, Gallup asked 1,020 American adults this question: “Please tell me how you would rate the honesty and ethical standards of people in these different fields — very high, high, average, low or very low?”

The survey then listed 18 different professions — ranging from bankers to lawyers to members of Congress.

The results were astounding.

Only 2% of the respondents gave members of Congress a “very high” rating for honesty and ethical standards, while another 7% gave them a “high” rating. With a combined 9% of the Americans surveyed giving them either a “high” or a “very high” rating, members of Congress ranked 17th out of the 18 professions included in the survey for their honesty and ethical standards.

Telemarketers came in last. Like members of Congress, 2% of those surveyed gave them a “very high” rating for their honesty and ethical standards, but only 4% gave them a “high” rating. That combined 6% left telemarketers 3 points behind the combined 9% scored by members of Congress.

Still, while members of Congress managed to outrank telemarketers for their perceived honesty and ethical standards, they still trailed “car salespeople.” That profession got 2% of respondents to rank them “very high” and 8% to rank them “high.” This combined 10% put car salesmen one point ahead of members of Congress for their honesty and ethical standards.

The belief was bipartisan in nature, with no single political demographic giving Congress high marks.